I can’t connect to my wireless network. Can you help?
Sometimes, your network just needs a reboot; just turning it off and on again will often do the trick. Shutdown all the PCs and laptops on your network, disconnect your modem and router from the mains, wait a couple of minutes, plug the modem back in and wait for the light to stop flashing. Then plug the router back into the mains and wait for the lights to stop flashing. Now restart your machine and try the connection. If this doesn’t work call us! Contact us
I have a Mac so I won’t get a virus right?
Up to a few years ago that would be correct. However as they have become more mainstream, virus makers have increased their efforts specifically to target Macs. Viruses and Malware can be spread by emails and documents so it is still good to get an anti-virus installed. We recommend that you install and run ESET (formerly known as NOD32). Contact us
What is Malware and Spyware?
Malware (malicious software) is software designed to infiltrate your system without your consent or knowledge. Their purpose could be to gather information or cause damage. Spyware are programs that monitor your web browsing, bombard you with unsolicited advertisements, or forcibly redirect you to another site.
How can I protect myself against viruses, malware and spyware?
My computer is running really slowly! Am I infected?
You could be! There are several possible causes:
- File Fragmentation
- Unnecessary programs running in the background
- Invalid or corrupt entries in the registry
- Incorrect system settings that interfere with proper operation
- Misconfigured internet connection settings
- Malware and/or virus
- Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware scan is running
- Lack of free hard drive space/memory (RAM)
- Machine or processor could be over heating
- Your machine is too old
So what can I do before I feel that I need to call you?
- Check you have the latest Windows updates
- Back up your PC/data
- Create a System Restore Point: (how to)
- Go to “Add/Remove Programs” and uninstall any programs you no longer need
- Uninstall Java and then install the newest version
- Download “CCleaner” a great free program http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner to delete temporary files and clean your machine
- Download and run an Anti-Malware program http://www.malwarebytes.org/
- Defragment your hard drive: Double-click My Computer (or open Explorer), double-click “C” drive, right-click. Click “Properties”. Click “Tools” tab. Click the Defragment now button.
- Run the disk clean up command: Open Computer, Right click on “C” drive, click “Properties”. Select the “General” tab and then select “Disk Cleanup”. This will now spend some time examining your hard drive to estimate how much space it can free. Once it has finished calculating how much space you can free you will be see a window where you can select what you would like to delete/compress and what you would like to keep. When you have selected this, click “OK”.
- Reduce the number of application starting up with Windows: Press the Windows Key & “R”. Enter “msconfig” into the box and click “OK”. Select the “Startup” tab to see a list of programs. Try to disable as many as possible.
- Update your drivers: make sure you have the latest ones.
Is it cheaper to repair my computer or buy new?
How old is your machine? What is actually wrong with it? Sometimes it’s cheaper just to start again and buy new.
What is remote support?
Remote support allows our technician to access your computer and securely fix most problems through the Internet. We will send you a program to install, and our technician can then view and access your computer as if they were by your side.
Why is this better than physically bringing it to you?
It is more convenient for both of us; you don’t have to go through the hassle of unplugging and carry it all to us in your own good time and we don’t have to come to you. This saves time, petrol and of course money. Also, as you may not know what exactly is wrong with your machine, time is saved and our technician can interact directly with your PC saving unnecessary and complicated instructions over the telephone!
Is it secure?
Absolutely! The connection is encrypted, you can end the session when you want to, and we cannot access your PC after this.
Can I drop my computer off to you?
Of course! Please call first to arrange.
I don’t have any of the original software as I bought it second hand
Not a problem! Our technician will be able to restore your original applications, data and serial numbers without having the original software.
Are my data and personal details safe?
Yes. Your personal details are safe with us and privacy is guaranteed, we do not sell or give any personal data to third parties.